To have a browser hijacker in your computer is annoying enough, in addition to the harmful effects it can bring next. In case your search engine, home page and new tab page have been altered by iStartSurf hijacker, then removing this problem along with its associated malware can be done.
Effects of Browser Hijacking – iStartSurf
- It is an external code that can change the settings of your web browser without our knowledge or your permission.
- When you open and log on your PC, you’ll notice your home page will be redirected to http://www.istartsurf.com. • No control over the look of your home page and how your browser will work and configured.
- This is bundled with other free software. • Can give you a false Google Chrome update.
- Can trick you that your browser is outdated and you can download the latest version, this false file is known as googl_chrome.exe. istartsurf.com goals:
- To be able to direct you to a website and then generate traffic or revenue.
- To be able to install spyware on your PC. Spyware is those programs that can suggest and spies on your online activity. It can monitor your browsing habits and visits. The programmers can see the high chance of getting clicks or earning from you if their suggestions, will be mostly related to the searches you are browsing for.
How to avoid istartsurf.com infection
- Only download on the reliable websites.
- Make sure you have a reputable anti-virus in your PC.
- Don’t access spam or any email attachments, especially the sender is unknown to you.
- Check the small print when you are downloading anything from the internet.
- When downloading, make sure you un-check the boxes that says “this software also comes with a tool bar”.
The Steps to Remove iStartSurf
From your computer, for users of Windows XP go to the Control Panel and use the Add/Remove Programs. While if you are using Windows 7 or 8, you can Uninstall a Program at the Control Panel. 1. To the Start Menu, you can select the Control Panel, then go to the Add/Remove Programs. If you are using Windows Vista/7, you should choose the Control Panel and then proceed to the Uninstall a Program. While for Windows 8, just drag the mouse pointer to the right corner part of the screen, then click Search from the list and enter “Control Panel”. Or from the original position of the formerly Start button, you can select the Control Panel there. 2. If the “Uninstall a Program or the Add/Remove Programs” is already appearing on your screen, you need to scroll through the list of and find the currently installed programs. Remove the following files/program/app:
- and any other recently installed application
For users of Windows Vista, 7 or 8, click the Uninstall (at the top part of that window). When done, close the Control Panel.
Extension Removal in Google Chrome:
- Go to the Google menu button and click it.
- Proceed to go to the Tool and then Extensions.
- Make sure that the Developer mode checkbox (on the top right-hand corner) is already checked.
- Now, go to Chrome extension directory and remove the folder named Extended Protection extension (loaded-form).
- Next, choose Settings, and scroll down the page, then, click the Show Advanced Settings.
- Locate the Reset browser settings section and then, click the Reset Browser Settings button.
- From the dialog display, click Reset, then Close Chrome.
- Then right-click Google Chrome shortcut (the one you are using to open your web browser), next, choose Properties.
- Choose the Shortcut tab and delete http://www.istartsurf.com…. on the Target field and then click OK to save changes. Note that, there should be a single path to Chrome executable file.
Extension Removal in Mozilla Firefox:
- Open click Mozilla Firefox, from the URL address bar, you need to type about:config and hit the Enter key.
- Then, click “I’ll be careful, I promise!” to continue.
- On the search filter (at the top), enter, type: istartsurf
- Now, you could see the preferences that this browser hijacker changed. On the preference, right-click and choose Reset to restore the default value. Reset all found preferences!
- On the Mozilla Firefox shortcut, right-click and select the Properties.
- Choose the Shortcut tab and delete http://www.istartsurf.com…. on the Target field and then click OK to save changes. Note that, there should be a single path to the Mozilla Firefox executable file.
Extension Removal in Internet Explorer:
- Open Internet Explorer and then go to Tools, proceed to Mange Add-ons.
- Choose Search Providers. You should first choose the Live Search search engine and then make it as your default web search engine (Set as default).
- Choose iStartSurf and then click Remove to delete it. Close the window.
- On the Explorer shortcut, right-click it and choose Properties.
- Choose the Shortcut tab and delete http://www.istartsurf.com…. on the Target field and then click OK to save changes. Note that, there should be a single path to the Internet Explorer executable file.
- As finale, go to Tools, then to Internet Options and restore your home page to default.