Classified as adware, Sweet Page is also popularly known as the browser hijacker. This adware is bundled with free programs that can be availed by the user through download websites. The programs commonly comprise of an executable file you need, hence embed with several malicious “free ad offers”. Declining or deselecting these offers during the installation will prevent them from infecting your computer system. But if ever it gained access to your computer, Sweet Page will change the set up of your default search engine and homepage. This can happen once it injected the code: http://www.sweet-page.com/?type=hp&ts=&from=tugs&uid=”.
The Not-so-Sweet Effect of Sweet Page:
• Whether you like it or not, sweet-page.com (once installed in your computer) will be your web browser.
• Although you have a browser’s built-in search engine, the search result will lead back to sweet-page.com.
• You’ll also experience slow or might even temporarily stops your computer’s processing.
Exposure of Browser:
• Sweet Page hijacker can harm these browsers, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer.
• This browser hijacker, Sweet Page is an adware intended to affect Windows Vista, XP, 7 and 8; even the professional versions.
Sweet Page Hijacker Browser Infection Happen through:
• This browser hijacker commonly installed with those free software/programs you can find online.
• Most of them will have no problem installing free programs or softwares but with them are those unwanted adware like sweet-page.com that will silently come and won’t ask your permission.
• Only download softwares from main websites for they are safer compared to the third party websites. Those third party websites are the ones with sweet-page.com download.
• If the user neglect to watch the process of installation and miss to select the “Custom Install” option. Selecting this option if available, will able you to uncheck the unwanted program you don’t want to be installed on your PC.
For Manual Removal of Sweet Page:
1. Once you notice you have a Sweet Page infection, turn off your computer.
2. Look at the top row of your keyboard and locate F8 button. Be ready to press it when you are on Step 4.
3. Power on your computer and press F8, you need to see a pop-up of the “Windows Advanced Options Menu.
4. Once the pop-up Window Advanced Options Menu shows, you can click the arrow key pointing downward until it highlight the Safe Mode with Networking. Then click the Enter key.
5. On this part, your computer will begin to process the Safe Mode. It will make desktop and display icon to show enlarged. Don’t be alarmed when you see this, for it is practically normal to happen and not a sign of the Sweet Page infection.
6. You need to know that Sweet Page has the ability to modify your proxy settings and control your internet. For this part, checking the proxy setting is a must.
7. Locate the Windows Key , of your keyboard. Click and hold it for a while. This is located at the lower left of your keyboard.
8. As you are holding down the Windows Key , press the R Key. You’ll notice the Run Box will show.
9. Type iexplore.exe in the empty box of the Run Box window and click OK button.
10. In effect, this will launch the Internet Explorer browser, with it is the top navigation menu select Tools. Under Tools menu, click the Internet Options.
11. Then, within the Internet Options box, click the Connections Tab.
12. Locate and choose LAN settings.
13. When you are in the Local Area Network (LAN) settings, locate the Proxy Server section. Under the Proxy Server title, there is a box labeled “Use a Proxy Server for your LAN”. If the box is checked, uncheck it. When the box is not checked, then the Sweet Page didn’t change your proxy settings.
14. Click OK button to close the Local Area Network (LAN) box.
15. Click the OK button to close the Internet Options box.
16. This time, you need to run Rkill. It was developed by Lawrence Abrams at Bleepingcomputer.com by running Rkill, Sweet Page will be paralyzed, because this browser hijacker has the capability to stop and block any attempt to remove its tools. Disarming Sweet Page’s ability is the only way to go around it. The procedure Rkill won’t remove Sweet Page. Avoid rebooting your computer when you’ve run Rkill for this will restart Sweet Page and you need to do things all over again.
17. Now, to bring up the Run Box once more, hold down for a while the Windows key and press the R key.
18. Once the Run Box appears, enter “iexplore.exe http://www.malwareexperts.com/rkill” and then click OK button.
19. The File Download – Security Warning box will show, along with Rkill. Click Save button and select the desktop.
20. When the Rkill is done with the download, close the Download Complete box.
21. Open your Desktop and look for the Rkill.exe icon.
22. To run the Rkill.exe, double click the Rkill icon. Rkill will display a black MS DOS box and will try to stop the processing of Sweet Page.
23. You’ll notice that Rkill will create Notepad log. Ignore and close that log, then move to the next step.
24. This time your computer is prepared to install Malwarebytes. This is a well known Malware removal application. Install Malwarebytes, you need to call the Run Box again.
25. Again, press and hold the Windows Key and click R key together. This will make the Run Box to appear again.
26. Type “iexplore http://www.malwareexperts.com/malware-remover/” in the Run Box and Click OK button.
27. A window of File Download – Security Warning box will appear, with Malwarebytes. You’ll see the options of RUN, SAVE or CANCEL. Choose the Save and select to save the file to your desktop.
28. Now, go to your Desktop and check the icon of Malwarebytes from your desktop.
29. Then, double-click the icon of Malwareytes.
30. Once a window pop-up (Open File – Security Warning), select Run to install the Malwarebytes box.
31. Select the Setup Language you prefer, recommend to choose your native language then click OK button.
32. The Setup Wizard of Malwarebytes will appear, then select Next button.
33. This will be followed by the License Agreement. You need to accept the agreement and then choose Next button.
34. The screen of the Basic Information will show, then you need to click Next button.
35. The screen about the Select Destination Location will show, this is where you’ll wish save/install the Malwarebytes files. The recommendable location is shown as the default location is the common choice. Then click Next button.
36. The screen asking you where to place the shortcut of the application is the Select Start Menu Folder. Click the Next button.
37. For the Desktop Icon and a Quick Launch icon, check the boxes on the Select Additional Tasks box. Click Next button.
38. This time, a screen of Ready to Install will appear. To start the installation, Click Install button.
39. Then, the final screen will show for the Update and Launch of Malwarebytes. Click the Finish button.
40. The updated Malwarebytes will be downloaded and show a success box. Click the OK button.
41. The launching process of the main interface of Malwarebytes along with the Scanner tab will begin. Just make sure the Perform Full Scan is selected.
42. Launch the full scan is the next step by clicking the Scan.
43. A box will show together with the local drives, select the local drives you need to scan and then click Scan to process.
44. Then, the scanning procedure will start. This will take time for Malwarebytes will search for the remaining files of Sweet Page.
45. When it is done, a box with a message that the scan process is complete will show, just click OK button to close the box.
46. The result will show after closing the box.
47. When the result show, choose Remove Selected (this will remove all the Malware found by Malwarebytes and it will include the Sweet Page together with the files and registry keys linked with it. They will be added to be isolated.
48. To remove totally the Sweet Page, you’ll need to reboot the system.
49. When the reboot is complete, relaunch the system and follow the instructions on-screen and proceed with the removal procedure.
50. Malwarebytes will create a Notepad log, review and close the log.
51. When the process of removing the traces of Sweet Page is completed by the Malwarebytes, your computer is 100% free of Sweet Page browser hijacker.