The Green Book describes the CD-interactive (CD-i) disc, player and operating system and contains the following:
- CD-I disc format (track layout, sector structure)
- Data retrieval structure which is based on ISO 9660
- Audio data using ADPCM levels A, B and C
- Real-time still video image coding, decoder and visual effects
- Compact Disc Real Time Operating System (CD-RTOS)
- Base case (minimum) system specification
- Full motion extension (the MPEG cartridge and the software).
CD-i is capable of storing 19 hours of audio, 7,500 still images and 72 minutes of full screen/full motion video (MPEG) in a standard CD format. After a spell of interest in the early 1990s, CD-i is now more or less defunct.