Alexa Internet Inc. was founded in 1996 by Brewster Kahle and Bruce Gilliat as an independent company and acquired by Amazon.com in 1999. Now simply recognized as Alexa, this now belongs to the web analytics service industry.
Alexa acknowledges that it can provide subscribers commercial web traffic data through the use of its analytical tools that can identify site status on national and global ranking. It gathers traffic data from various websites that have installed Alexa tools so the information metrics that browsers can see are always 100 percent real. But how definite that Alexa can raise your ranking on search engines? This we have to find out.
Main Reasons Why People Want to Register their Websites to Alexa:
1. With Alexa tools, you can have a point of reference (benchmark) of your website/s if these are gathering audiences. It also enables you to look over your closest rivals of their overall performances in their businesses.
2. You can be able to determine the strategies of the successful businesses and identify their significant traffic sources (backlinks, etc.) in an instant.
3. By discovering the strengths of the successful companies that are on top ranks, you can be able to customized your SEO strategies and receive site improvement recommendations to increase the popularity of your sites.
4. You can be able to gauge and manage your real-time traffic to guarantee that your strategies are properly optimized and your financial spending are worth your site’s value.
If you are running an online business or into affiliate marketing, registering to Alexa enables you to get a toolbar and install it on your main website. The toolbar will let you connect to around 30 million Alexa users all over the world. This is a useful tool in providing you quick information of the websites you think are your potential competitors.
For instance, by typing a certain keyword, a phrase or a string of words, Alexa will automatically show you results that it found on search engines like Google, Yahoo or Bing. For each search engine, you can get accurate data traffic and metrics of the websites including their rankings.
Alexa Browsing Options
You have two options when making a search with Alexa. It’s either you will be taken directly to the site you want to browse or have a view of various websites on the list with complete information by clicking each site’s dropdown arrow. From there you can see the thumbnail or logo of the website, a summary of the site, its traffic volume, reviews, links that are related to the site, its popularity rank and date the website was established. If you still don’t have a logo for your business then make sure you make one with the help of a company like GraphicSprings.
You can also see the incoming links, name of the owner, email address and office phone number. The Alexa toolbar also let you email anybody by just typing the email address of the recipient thus eliminating the need in opening your email server.
Alexa also keeps track of the sites you have visited so if you are tracking or monitoring certain sites including your websites, you can easily take them out and check again. The major thing Alexa wants to point out to its users is that being a subscriber you agree to share your data to other Alexa users or can keep your data private which is an option.
Here are the Top 10 Websites Based on Alexa’s List:
1. Google.com – Anyone can use this in searching for any information from around the world including videos, images and webpages.
2. Facebook.com – A social networking site that connects people from all over the world and allows uploading, downloading and sharing of files.
3. Youtube.com – A free video site where you can share and download videos.
4. Yahoo.com – A search engine that is providing various online services such as email, chat, membership clubs to all types of searching.
5. Baidu.com – Chinese language search engine and offers multi-media experience as well as China WAP and PDA-based mobile search.
6. Amazon.com – Products and customer service company that sell all types of products online at very low cost. It also provide delivery services in major cities all over the world.
7. Wikipedia.org – A free online encyclopedia that rely on wiki software. Most of its information are also contributed by wiki-registered individuals or companies.
8. Taobao.com – Said to be an affiliate of Alibaba Group, Taobao is for Chinese consumers who are looking for wide range of products and also provide service listings.
9. Twitter.com – A social networking site but features microblogging, instant messaging or texting through web interface.
10. Qq.com – Owned by Tencent, Inc., this is China’s largest and most popular web service portal. Features one-stop online service, information sharing, messaging, forums, chatrums and entertainment.