This tutorial will take you through the steps involved in setting up a RAID array. In this case the array will be a single RAID 1 (mirror) array, set up in the context of a new system build in which the RAID array is partitioned and Windows XP installed in the C: partition. The tutorial will cover each of the following:
- creating a floppy containing the third party RAID Controller drivers
- configuring the RAID array
- installing the RAID Controller drivers
- partitioning the RAID array
- formatting the drive partitions
- installing Windows.
In the case of this tutorial, the controller in question is an integrated GigaRAID (IT8212) ATA RAID Controller. The procedure outlined will be similar for other manufacturer’s controllers.
- RAID tutorial – the benefits of using RAID
- RAID tutorial – preparing for the installation
- RAID tutorial – connecting the hard drives
- RAID tutorial – configuring a RAID array installation
- RAID tutorial – installing the drivers
- RAID tutorial – installing Windows on the RAID drive
- RAID tutorial – maintaining the RAID array